The Links, Incorporated is an organization of over 16,000 professional women of color with more than 288 chapters located in 41 States; the District of Columbia; the Commonwealth of the Bahamas; and the United Kingdom. Members are individual achievers who are making a difference in the communities and lives of African Americans and persons of African descent across the globe. The Links, Incorporated was co-founded by the late Margaret R. Hawkins and Sarah S. Scott in 1946 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Southern Maryland Chain, an interest group for Links membership, was organized in the spring of 1980 by Albertine Lancaster. Twenty-seven professional women with diverse talents and abilities came together and determined that the outstanding commonality among them was a commitment to service to the people of the communities in which they lived. It was felt that their joining together would strengthen their impact on the civic, political and educational life in the area.
On May 15, 1982, after two years of demonstration projects and orientation to Links’ goals and procedures, the interest group became a chapter of The Links, Incorporated with the installation ceremonies held at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station, Patuxent River, Maryland. Elfreda Mathis became the first Chapter President. Our Chapter Establishment Officer was Link Thelma Hardiman of the Buffalo, New York Chapter. The area director was Migon Johnson of the Arlington, Virginia Chapter. The National President, Link Julia Purnell, of the Baton Rouge, Louisiana Chapter conducted the installation activities.
Southern Maryland Chain (MD) Chapter The Links, Incorporated
PO Box D
Bryans Road, MD 20640